Fasting and Patience

patience 3

Every six months or so, I have to get blood work done. It’s always fasting blood work; you know, nothing after midnight? I always try to schedule as early as possible, since I am a self-admitted coffee freak.

My morning routine is simple, as we talked about last week when I slipped on the deck. It always involves at least two cups of coffee before I ever leave the house.

I couldn’t have any this morning. I knew that this was going to one of those “try my patience” kind of days, or at least the start of it.

I had to stop and put some gas in Meg (yes, I named my car-don’t judge), and left the house in plenty of time to make my 8:30 appointment.  I pulled up to the pump, swiped my card, and waited for the pump to start dispensing fuel. It didn’t. Why would it? By now I should have had two or three cups of hot, heavenly goodness coursing through my veins, but didn’t.

But this is not a problem. I cancelled that transaction and went to another pump. While struggling with the second pump, a young man came up and started a conversation with me. I got the gas pumping into the tank, and this young man handed me a magazing with the title, “What Happened to Patience?”

Yes, I know…So I smiled, thanked the young man and thought to my personal higher power, “Yes, I hear you…Loud and clear!”

I got on the road and got behind the guy that was so distracted by whatever was going on in his car that he needed to be driving in BOTH lanes. I started to grumble, and then reminded myself,  “patience,” so I just stayed behind him and passed him on the highway.

I pulled into the parking lot at the doctor’s office right on time. By this point, I was getting kind of hungry, so I was kind of ready to get in and get out, if you know what I mean. I got in line to check in (busy place this morning), and stood a respectable 2-3 feet behind the lady in front of me. I hate getting too close to people I don’t know. ESPECIALLY in a doctor’s office. You never know what’s going to be passed back and forth. That said, imagine my surprise when, after signing in, I stepped away from the window and walked slam into a woman, who, had she been standing ANY closer to me would have been wearing my shirt with me. Not only did she huff and cluck her tongue at me, she ROLLED her EYES and told me to be more careful.

Do WHAT? Ok…breath in patience, breath out love. I excused myself and went and took a seat. It was about 8:35 by this time. I futzed with my phone, checked mail, etc. and by the time they called me in for the big stick, it was 8:55 and I am quite sure that everyone in the waiting area was aware of how hungry I was, since my empty stomach was singin’ it to the world.

I get in the chair and the tech asked me how I was, and I told her fine, and couldn’t wait to get my hands on a cup of coffee and some food.

This was when she told me I could have had a cup of black coffee.

How is it that nobody bothered to tell me that detail? I am not black coffee’s biggest fan, but I could make it work once every six months or so. It’s okay, though. In ten minutes I would be in my office and sucking down coffee like there is no tomorrow.

I have to admit, as rough as I thought the morning would be, it was nowhere near as bad as it could have been.

I started keeping track of calories last Sunday. I figured it was probably not going to hurt me to see exactly how much I’m eating on a daily basis, versus how much I am moving around on a daily basis.  If I had looked at this last week? It would not have been pretty. But once I start journalling and keeping track? That keeps me honest and accountable (and freaking HUNGRY). Well for the first couple of days, anyway.

Had I not been watching what I was inhaling the last few days and started getting used to that empty feeling (that really isn’t there, as it’s all in my head; sit at desk=food-fest), it might not have been such a low key morning.

Okay, and had it not been for that young kid in the tie approaching me with that magazine, that little old lady all up in my space more than likely would have gotten an earful from me.

So I’m fed, I’m happy, and (at least for today) I’m patient. Enjoy it while you can, people. You never know when my head will spin again.  Muwahahaha!

Till next time…Pay attention to those little signs that the powers that be have a way of placing in your path.

About Julie the Workaholic

Mom of three (grown) sons and one (grown) step-daughter, wife of one, friend of many, and owned by seven 4-legged critters, writer, photographer, friend, huge fan of life, and most of all, lover of all things beautiful .….Getting healthy, and hoping to make a dent in the world in a most positive way! (And then there's my alter-ego, the Workaholic, who is me, just unfiltered.)
This entry was posted in Random Thoughts and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Fasting and Patience

  1. Rea says:

    I’ve named all my cars. My current vehicle is Tic Tock.
    Glad you made it through your morning without losing your temper on anyone.

  2. katewritesstuff says:

    I had to have a little chuckle at this, I am exactly the same as this when I have to have fasting bloods taken. Absolute fair play to you for being able to exercise such patience!

Talk to me!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s