And here is a quick and dirty field pea blanching method:
- Shell and rinse peas. Boil about a gallon of water.
- When water is boiling, add peas…please know, that if you add too many? Your pot boil-eth over. No bueno. Just saying.
- Let water return to boil.
- Blanch peas for two minutes once water returns to boil.
- Remove from boiling water, and cool quickly. Ice water bath works well!
- Drain well, and place into freezer bags and leave about 1/2 inch at the top. Get as much of the air out of the bag as you can prior to sealing.
- Place bags in freezer.